[plt-scheme] Re: [OT] Books on Software Design

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue May 12 15:59:17 EDT 2009

Noel Welsh wrote at 05/12/2009 03:45 PM:
> And for really getting down, Thriller (well, Billie Jean at least).

Speaking of bad design puns...  I once had to know basically every OO
analysis and design methodology out there (there were a lot, before UML
made it all mainstream and dumbed-down).  The most pun-able pair of OO
analysis and design books on my shelf were both co-authored by... Coad
and Yourdon (the "Code, and you're done!" method)

Back to serious: in any study of analysis&design, I would definitely
include some work on modeling the static structure of data.  This is
essential for large systems.  You can use UML, but don't just use it as
a visualization of your programming language or database schema
language: if you're not winding up using attributes of associations,
constraints between associations, and other concepts not in your
implementation language, you're missing some useful concepts.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/