[plt-scheme] [OT] Books on Software Design

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 12 08:48:26 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to compile a list of books that you would give someone
>> that wishes to learn [not a specific language] but how to design good
>> software.

On reflection I realise I have been influenced by comparatively few
books and a great many papers and sites. c2.com might be a good place
to start; I've been heavily influenced by Extreme Programming. On the
flip side, classic papers, such as the Functional Pearls, show how
software can beautiful and formally described. The later is neglected
in the popular SE literature.

> If he will make a career out of it and wants to enjoy it: The
> Passionate Programmer

Didn't know about this; I'll check it out. BTW, I found the Prag.
Prog. disappointing -- it really is for novices looking for a step up.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.