[plt-scheme] infix syntax

From: namekuseijin (namekuseijin at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 8 13:36:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Jens Axel Soegaard
<jensaxel at soegaard.net> wrote:
> I am experimenting with a little reader extension for infix expressions (in PLT-Scheme).
> Up to now I used the syntax #$"1+2", but decided to switch to #$1+2$ .

Funny.  Someone seems to have just requested a similar feature to
Gambit's infix syntax in Larceny as well.

infix math notation is one of the things that truly piss off Lisp
outsiders.  They don't see the point of relearning math or why being
more verbose.

I'm ok with it by now, but truthfully, I don't buy the argument some use that
(+ 1 2 3 4)
is better than
1+2+3+4

because you only have to type + once.  It turns out the second
expression is shorter because + is used like space and there's no need
for parentheses.

Anyway, couldn't the straightforward syntax for complex numbers just
be extended for dealing with any arithmetic expressions?

Posted on the users mailing list.