[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Thu May 7 13:41:11 EDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 09:51, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> And I'm sure debuging will never replace careful thought as a viable
> methodology for anything that has to be reliable.

Twenty years ago I worked on a verification project that, as it was
described to me, involved a program I never saw that must never be
run, but if it is ever run, must run correctly.  To ensure this, they
had dozens of advanced CS people pour over the code, line by line,
over a period of years.  The problem was that people would move on or
die during the review, and after several years, people also forgot
where they were.  My task was to help speed the process by hacking GCC
to write ASTs to a database so all the code could be annotated and
each reviewer could see the code the way he/she wanted, including
personal renaming of things, and code coverage by reviewers could be
tracked.

And with that, I think I'll go see the new Star Trek movie.

Posted on the users mailing list.