[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Raoul Duke (raould at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 6 20:07:19 EDT 2009

> That's why Java is taught at many many places. It 'motivates' students.
> That's why Scheme and HtDP aren't taught. It doesn't motivate students.
> Point is: if you have no backbone, you use 'motivation' to excuse every bad
> style of teaching and education.

Interesting point, sincere thanks for making it.

I think there is a spectrum and that one has to simultaneously listen
to one's users / know the audience, but also not assume that what the
user says they want is really what they need. So when somebody says "I
want to learn Java" there should at least be room for debate about
precisely what style one might use even within Java, if not about
getting away from it.

I'm more in the HtDP-style camp. My day job is Java and Other People's
Code so I see the damage that can exist when people aren't well
trained. But that doesn't mean I think it is the only possibly
respectable answer e.g. vs. spreadsheets. I'm sure there have been
people both teaching and learning how not to write horrible programs
even in the Cs, COBOLS, Javas of the world. (Which one might
reparaphrase as "hey, do Java, but do HtDP in Java rather than 'J2EE
for Dummies', I suppose.)

sincerely.

Posted on the users mailing list.