[plt-scheme] build error with svn 14677

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 1 18:25:17 EDT 2009

On May  1, Doug Orleans wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > On May  1, Robby Findler wrote:
> >> The svn tree is the latest, but the Makefiles are not guaranteed
> >> to always get the right dependencies. They usually work, but if
> >> you see problems, best thing is to just blow away the build
> >> directory and try again. (And if you see a configure script
> >> change or a Makefile.in changes, then probably best to not even
> >> try.)
> I see, so the problem was not with subversion but with configure?

Well, the problem, IIRC, was some leftover makefile.  So it's rather a
problem of `svn update' not being able to delete files that were not
part of svn (like all of the `Makefile's.)

> > Do this instead:
> >
> >  cd .../plt/src
> >  mkdir build
> >  cd build
> >  ../configure
> >  make
> >  make install
> Would the following be equivalent?
> cd .../plt/src
> make clean
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> Or, probably better would be to make clean before doing svn update?

Running `make clean' before an svn update is better, but still it's
not enough -- for example, I don't think that `make clean' removes
makefiles, and that was the problem in your case.

It's really best to do what I did -- it works just as fine after an
`svn up', but when there are changes with files being removed you have
the option of blowing up the whole build directory and starting again.