[plt-scheme] evaluating buffer w/o re-initializing environment?

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Mar 29 19:59:25 EDT 2009

Hi,
I did my first programs on punched Hollerith cards for batch processing.
This makes you think twice before designing and writing down a program. No
interactive terminals in those days (except the operator's main frame
control board, which I used once in order to interact (and the whole main
frame went down within a few minutes. As the main frame went down more
often, it apparently was not noticed, for I never received a reprimande. A
short look into the so called 'dayfile' would soon have revealed my sinn)
Easy access to tools that can help develop ideas about how to construct
certain parts of your program are nice of course, but the most important
part of programming has to be done in the head, probably with the help of
paper and a pencil. Having too easy tools to try out little pieces of code
interactively may lead to trial and error programming, horrible. In this
respect HtDP does a good job, I think. It guides the student to think about
what has to be done before actually entering the final code. And this code
is to be entered in the definitions window, of course. Therefore I don't
mind Run to reset DrScheme, on the contrary, I like it, for it makes me sure
that the erroneuous past is completely forgotten (and all previously running
user threads being killed!) Mho, Jos