[plt-scheme] Scheme and R

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Mar 26 12:34:20 EDT 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

> R is a free, open-source language for statistical computing that is
> gaining in popularity (to the extent that the New York Times has
> written about it). The required stats course that our students take
> has apparently been using it for a while.
>
> One of the inspirations for R was Scheme. R is not purely
> functional, but has lexical scoping, closures, and many built-in
> higher-order functions.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone on this list has experience with teaching R
> or with making explicit the connections between R and Scheme. I'd
> like to take more notice of this in our first-year CS classes, and
> help prepare students for the use of R in their second-year stats
> class. --PR

I have at least two connections with R, though I've never used it:

1) I wound up in a conversation with a guy in an airport who caught me
reading a linear algebra textbook; the upshot of our conversation was
that he used R, and wanted to know what I thought of it.

2) I'm teaching a computational finance seminar, and one closely
related course (a.k.a. he's given me permission to draw upon his web
page) is Steven Skiena's, at Stony Brook; apparently he suggests the
use of R.

John