[plt-scheme] Re: DrScheme TXT requests

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 06:21:45 EDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:05:19 -0500, Grant Rettke
<grettke at acm.org> wrote:

>Hi here are to requests for DrScheme:
>
>When opening .txt files, set the mode to "text mode".
>
>When in text mode, disable coding features not appropriate for the
>mode like run and check-syntax.
>
>Thoughts?

1.  s/"are to" "are two"

2.  By itself, that sounds like a good idea, but along that line of
reasoning, it would also be necessary to adjust the menus to be
different for each mode as well; for example, such menu items as
"Insert λ," "Insert Scheme Box," and "Insert Scheme Splice Box" would
need to be disabled for both Text mode and Java mode; "Insert Java
Comment Box" and "Insert Java Interactions Box" would need to be
disabled for both Text mode and Scheme mode; and so forth.

Also, the entire "Scheme" menu would need to be disabled for both Text
mode and Java mode.

We would probably also need to create a new "XML mode" to match the
"Insert -> Insert XML Box" menu item as well.

We would probably also need to create new "Text" and "XML" menus where
the current "Scheme" and "Java" menus alternate.

Besides, what happens if I want to insert, say, a 'λ' in Java mode?
What happens if I want to use the "Insert Text Box" menu item in
Scheme mode or Java mode?  Who decides which menu items get enabled
for which mode(s)?

That sounds like a lot of work for reduced functionality.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^

Posted on the users mailing list.