[plt-scheme] Natural numbers

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 11 22:25:33 EDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Norman Gray wrote:

> In maths, the term "the natural numbers" refers specifically to the
> set of positive integers (see for example [1]), and not to any set
> isomorphic to that.  Thus it does not depend on what you or I may
> or may not find natural, and its meaning is not really a matter for
> dispute.  Anyone who refers, in any sort of semi-formal context, to
> "the natural numbers" as meaning anything other than {n in Z : n >
> 0} is being quixotic.

I was brought up with "the natural numbers" meaning {n in Z : n >=
0}.  In both my dissertation and my advisor's, and many of the
published papers in my field, it is quite important that the natural
numbers include zero.  In fact, I think it's been years if not
decades since I saw "the natural numbers" used formally in a sense
that excluded zero.

> I don't believe computer scientists have a get-out-of-jail-free
> card here.

Ah, maybe that's it: I went through graduate school surrounded by
logicians and computer scientists. :-)

Then again, if you ask my programming students, you'll get about a
50/50 split on the question of whether zero is positive....

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.