[plt-scheme] Scribble formatting dilemma

From: Kumar (srikumarks at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 3 22:02:10 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm generating documentation using scribble (v4.1.4).

Observation 1: The currently generated output with all formatting at their
default
settings looks fine under Firefox, but is really ugly under Internet
Explorer, largely
due to the ugly default serif font it uses and what looks like bad kerning
to me.

I don't like serif fonts on web pages 'cos I find them less readable than
their
sans-serif cousins, so I created a short css file to change the font family
sans-serif and used it in ++style flag to scribble. The css file is short -

---------------
.main, .refcontent, .tocview, .tocsub, .inheritedlbl, i {
  font-family: sans-serif;
}

.main {
  font-size: 12px;
}
---------------

Observation 2: With the above css add-on, the pages look gorgeous under
Internet Explorer,
but are ugly under Firefox!! Here are all the problems under Firefox -

   - It has all the wrong font proportions for the various sections. An
   embedded table
   has a larger font size than the body text, for example and some section
   headings
   are smaller than the body text.
   - If I don't set the font-size, all the font sizes selected are very big
   and the page
   width for the main body text is too narrow.

With my css file, I examined the presentation in firefox using Firebug and
it looked
as though Firefox wasn't calculating the right font sizes. Hand calculation
from the css
would indicate 12px size for table text, but firefox calculates 16px. It
looks like a Firefox
bug to me, but I'm not very html/css savvy to be confident about that.

Here is an example -
http://muvee-style-authoring.googlecode.com/svn/doc/main/Reflect.html
(Pls ignore the text language.)

Any suggestions to get scribble to use sans-serif fonts, but make it look
ok in both IE and Firefox?

Thanks and regards,
-Kumar