[plt-scheme] DrScheme on SunRay, no fonts

From: Jarrett Lee (jalee at valdosta.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 3 14:28:27 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 13:58, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> My guess is that when running on a thin-client display, DrScheme
> doesn't find the fonts that it expects, while it does find them on the
> server's console.
>
> From the server-console image, it looks like DrScheme is compiled
> without Xft/Fontconfig support, so it uses old X11 fonts. The thin
> clients may not be configured for old X11 fonts, so that DrScheme
> needs
> Xft/Fontconfig support to work on the thin clients.
>
> When you run `configure' for the build, what does it say about
> Xft/Fontconfig? The configure script may need help finding the header
> files or libraries.

[root at gargamel src]# grep -i Xft configure_output.txt
Using pkg-config xft...
Xft flags: -I/usr/include/freetype2
Xft libs: -lXft -lXrender -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lX11
[root at gargamel src]# grep -i fontconfig configure_output.txt
Xft libs: -lXft -lXrender -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lX11

I piped the output of ./configure to tee so that I could watch it run
and get the benefit of having the output stored for later grepping. I
did not see any strange errors in the output, but if it would help, I
can paste the entire output.

Posted on the users mailing list.