[plt-scheme] Nanojit - an alternative to LLVM

From: Jakub Piotr Cłapa (jpc-ml at zenburn.net)
Date: Thu Jun 18 16:09:37 EDT 2009

On 6/13/09 9:08 AM, Noel Welsh wrote:
> A little while ago someone asked about using LLVM as an alternative
> compiler backend to Lightning. Another alternative, with perhaps a
> better set of tradeoffs (much smaller but lower performance than LLVM)
> is Nanojit, used in the pre-release versions of Firefox:
>
>    https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Nanojit
>
> It currently support x86 and ARM. I believe Sparc support is at least
> on the wishlist.
>
> [Another alternative is libjit, but their website is makes ridiculous
> claims, which doesn't inspire confidence in the project.]

I guess you are talking about the google code site [1]. The
documentation page on dotgnu [2] looks a lot more credible.

The pros for libjit are that it is written in pure C, is distributed as
a library and the API is quite simple. One should be able to start
experimenting with the API using the FFI.

The pros for nanojit is that it get a lot more attention and probably is
(or will be) much faster.

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/libjit-linear-scan-register-allocator/
[2]: http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/libjit-doc/libjit.html

--