[plt-scheme] Re: mathematical logic (was the perfect teaching language)

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 17 02:36:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:22:08 -0400, Stephen Bloch
<sbloch at adelphi.edu> wrote:

>[...]
>
>BTW, there's a fascinating "graphic novel" (i.e. "comic book for
>grown-ups") entitled _Logicomix_, just released or about to be
>released, about mathematical logic in the early 20th century.
>Bertrand Russell is the main protagonist; Cantor, Frege,
>Wittgenstein, Goedel, Whitehead, Hilbert, etc. are other major
>supporting characters.

LOGICOMIX can be found at the following site:

LOGICOMIX - Homepage
http://www.logicomix.com/en/

Incidentally, I just found an article (see "Bertrand Russell's
mathematical quest adds up to unlikely graphic novel hit" at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/apr/27/graphic-novel-logicomix-bertrand-russell)
describing the story in LOGICOMIX, as follows:

>Russell, who died aged 97 in 1970, is starring in a graphic novel based
> on his life, Logicomix, which portrays the great pacifist's quest to pin
>down the foundations of mathematics. First published in Greece last
>year, where it has become an unexpected bestseller, Logicomix,
>subtitled An Epic Search for Truth, is the brainchild of maths expert
>and novelist Apostolos Doxiadis, who was admitted to Columbia
>University at the tender age of 15.

>Covering a span of 60 years, it tells the story of Russell's life, taking in
>his childhood, brought up by his grandparents after he was orphaned
>aged four, his four marriages, the writing of his great work Principia
>Mathematica, his rivalry with Ludwig Wittgenstein, and his quest for
>nuclear disarmament in the last decades of his life.

>Peopled with his contemporaries -- Alfred North Whitehead, with
>whom he co-authored Principia, Kurt Go"del, David Hilbert, Ludwig
>Wittgenstein -- it charts the quest for knowledge that Russell
>described in his autobiography: "I have wished to understand the
>hearts of man. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I
>have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number
>holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have
>achieved."

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^