[plt-scheme] The perfect teaching language--Is this too much to ask for?

From: Bill Wood (william.wood3 at comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 14 17:53:43 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 15:33 -0400, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
   . . .
> Natural languages had nouns and verbs and adjectives and adverbs and
> prepositions (only some have postpositions) and main clauses and
> subordinate cluses and prepositional phrases and so on.  They are way
> more complex than programming languages (perhaps this is evolution vs.
> design).  Yet we find them convenient in
> everyday use.
>
> There's probably something to be learned from this variety of syntax.

I seem to recall that Larry Wall was of the opinion that natural
language mechanisms like endings would be useful in a programming
language, and he came up with the "@" and "$" decorators for variables
on that model.  I for one think the experiment was a spectacular failure
-- all he did was invent another write-only language.

Just my opinion,

--
Bill Wood