[plt-scheme] The perfect teaching language--Is this too much to ask for?

From: Martin DeMello (martindemello at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 14 07:19:02 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Matthias Felleisen<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> All in all you aren't asking for a perfect language. You're asking for very
> doable things. (Python's nonsense confused the heck out of you. Give up on
> it. Study ML and then jump to Cayenne. Students will never mistakes again,
> because they won't get any programs past the type checkers :-)

Straying further off topic, has anyone done a teaching-oriented ML
dialect, or even a first year course based on SML? I'd love to see
such a thing. I've seen Helium, but (personal prejudices showing
through) strict evaluation seems a lot more suitable for a beginner's
language.

martin

Posted on the users mailing list.