[plt-scheme] The perfect teaching language--Is this too much to ask for?

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 13 22:43:50 EDT 2009

SORRY!

I should have made it clear that the CFG parser thread and this thread
were completely unrelated. The CFG parser is an idea for a single
assignment or a short set of assignments for my class next year and
I'm trying to implement that in Typed Scheme.

This thread is about my frustration that HtDP's current languages
aren't perfect. I teach about 80 high school students each year using
HtDP and then continue with about 45 more using HtDC. I'm one of the
curriculum's biggest cheerleaders, so any criticism comes from a place
of love. :-)

As to the parser, I'm implementing a Tomita parser. It has the
advantage that it handles left-recursion, ambiguity, is fairly fast,
and produces all possible parses of a given input.

I've gotten to the point where I've created the non-deterministic
finite state automaton for a given grammar and now need to convert
that to a DFA. I've put that on a back burner for a bit, because the
most efficient way to implement it is some sort of hash-table, but I
have to be careful that I have a representation of a subset of NFA
states that works as a key and I haven't had time to digest the
hash-table stuff, yet.

Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.