[plt-scheme] Re: Natural Language parsing in CS1

From: Chung-chieh Shan (ccshan at post.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 1 19:16:21 EDT 2009

Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote in article <18979.56830.723396.281647 at winooski.ccs.neu.edu> in gmane.lisp.scheme.plt:
> Just a quick warning on this: the world of natural language processing
> has moved away from this kind of symbolic approach to parsing texts,

I'm not sure what you mean by "this kind of symbolic approach".  The
Penn Treebank, for example, is full of symbols like NP and VP and their
hierarchical composition.  After all, weight finite-state automata are
based on finite-state automata, and probabilistic context-free grammars
are based on context-free grammars.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
We want our revolution, and we want it now! -- Marat/Sade