[plt-scheme] Is packages installation portable?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 29 12:04:36 EDT 2009

Not in general.

If you're setting up multiple machines in a cluster that are all the
same, you could install one and clone them onto the others, perhaps.
But the .plt file is the way we've designed it to work.

Perhaps if we knew more about your setup and why you'd want to do this?

Robby

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Elena Garrulo<egarrulo at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/29 Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>:
>> The right way to do that is to download the .plt file via the planet
>> commandline tool (on the machine that has a network connection) and
>> then install it via the planet commandline tool (on the machine that
>> doesn't). "planet fetch" or "planet url" will let you download the
>> package (altho you may need to rename it if you download via the url
>> given to from planet url), and then "planet fileinject" lets you
>> install the file.
>
> It would be indeed preferable to not install anything, but just
> shipping a zip. Do you think that is achievable?
>
> Thanks.

Posted on the users mailing list.