[plt-scheme] ajax and plt

From: Marco Monteiro (masm at acm.org)
Date: Wed Jul 8 16:39:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu>wrote:

> We have a full, working compiler from Scheme to JavaScript for
> Beginner and Intermediate Scheme plus the World framework for
> interaction.  The compiler is self-hosting.  We are working on
> plugging the generated code into other contexts such as mashups.
>
> While the compiler is available, we aren't interested in supporting it
> right now, as we're integrating it into a much larger framework.  We
> are targeting a preliminary release of the whole framework by the end
> of this summer, if not sooner.
>
> I'm happy to try to answer questions.

I have a Scheme to Javascript compiler implemented in Common Lisp.
It implements most things in R5RS. Missing are the number tower and
macros. Also, there is no proper module system.

I want to port the compiler to PLT-Scheme. My idea is to somehow
reuser the module and macro system of PLT. I'm just starting with PLT,
so I need advice about the best way to do this.

What I was thinking about was that I could write a module using #lang sines,
for example. The forms in this module would be expanded to the core
syntactic
forms in PLT-Scheme (the ones in chapter two of the reference manual) by
PLT-Scheme.
Then the compiler takes these and generates Javascript (maybe using
javascript.plt)
and serve it with the web server or maybe put it in a file.

Even better: a compiler already exists and I don't have to port mine.

In IRC, Eli Barzilay pointed me to the mailing list telling me that a Scheme
to Javascript
compiler, implemented in PLT-Scheme, might already exists. I'm guessing he
was
referring to this message.

Anyhow, is there something already usable? If not, I need advice, as a
PLT-Scheme newbie,
on the best way to reuse PLT-Scheme to implement (port) my compiler.

Thank,

Marco