[plt-scheme] On hygiene and trust

From: Abdulaziz Ghuloum (aghuloum at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 8 10:31:54 EDT 2009

On Jul 7, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Joe Marshall wrote:

> syntax-rules works well for simple macros, but is a pain for more
> complex ones.

I agree with this.

> Syntax-case is uniformly painful for simple and complex uses.

I don't agree.  Show me a painful simple use.  Pick any simple
macro you want: let, let*, or, and, cond, case, or any other
macro of your choice to show the pain.

> defmacro is really easy to use and understand, but isn't hygienic.

I don't agree that defmacro is easy to use without a pattern
matching facility.  Again, write the example that you provide
(above) using defmacro; I doubt it will be simpler or easier
or more robust, or anything.

Aziz,,,

Posted on the users mailing list.