[plt-scheme] GUI guides?

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 5 20:51:38 EDT 2009

Hugh Myers wrote:
> Am solving some of these as I try and think of questions to ask. Some
> of the answers raise questions about what is or isn't do-able. For
> instance given fixed width symbol font (like all chess fonts) it would
> be nice to ask how wide and how tall a given text string is. This
> could be used to 'size' the window before display. Nothing I've seen
> yet even hints that this is possible, yet it seems quit reasonable.

I think you want 'get-text-extent' in 'dc<%>' (drawing context).

Here are some rough guidelines:

  - 'editor<%>' and 'text%' deal with the text, its styles,
modifications to the text, high-level display concerns (word wrapping,
visible/ region, etc).

  - 'canvas<%>' and 'editor-canvas%' deal with the gui concerns:
dimensions of the editor widget, its auxiliary gui elements
(scrollbars), etc.

  - 'dc<%>' deals with rendering issues, like how big a string in a
particular font will be rendered on screen.

Browsing those classes and interfaces is a good way to get an idea of
what functionality is available and how it's provided. Remember to look
at the superclasses and superinterfaces, too.

Ryan

Posted on the users mailing list.