[plt-scheme] ajax and plt

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 2 18:08:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Dave Gurnell <d.j.gurnell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi YC,
>
> There are two current, well documented ways of generating Javascript source
> using Scheme code:
>
> http://planet.plt-scheme.org/package-source/dherman/javascript.plt/9/2/planet-docs/javascript/index.html
>
> http://planet.plt-scheme.org/package-source/untyped/mirrors.plt/2/2/planet-docs/mirrors/index.html
>
> To my knowledge, neither of these libraries compile actual Scheme into
> Javascript, but they both have a parenthetic syntax for writing Javascript
> code. So, for example, in Mirrors you can do stuff like this:
>
>     (js (alert ,(string-append "Hello " "world"))
>
> I use Mirrors with jQuery quite a lot;
>
>     (js (!dot ($ "#mybutton")
>               (click (function () (alert "Hi")))))

Cool - this approach seems simple and effective - are you able to write more
complicated code structures such as if/while/case?  I envision for those you
currently write in javascript? (javascript is not bad, of course).

> As a user of PLT in a commercial environment, I'd be more than happy to
> talk ideas/code/etc.

Great!

> Last note... AJAX and web frameworks... we *do* have a working framework,
> but it's basically undocumented. I'd welcome feedback/comment/collaboration
> if you want to take a look (let me know if you have versioning problems when
> you compile it):
>
>     $ svn co http://svn.untyped.com/smoke/trunk/src <somewhere>
>     $ cd <somewhere>
>     $ mzc run-tests.ss && mzscheme run-tests.ss
>     Open http://localhost:8765 in your browser.

Thanks for the information Dave - I'll download and play with it over the
weekend and followup with you then.

Cheers,
yc