[plt-scheme] URLs with passwords

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 25 15:12:11 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:57 AM, David Van Horn <dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> The delicious API (http://delicious.com/help/api) requires URLs like the
>> following:
>>
>>   https://user:password@api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/get?tag=foo
>>
>> But I can't seem to construct such a URL with the net/url library.  The
>> colon between user and password always gets encoded. So for example,
>>
>> (url->string
>>  (string->url
>>   "https://user:password@api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/get?tag=foo"))
>>
>> ==>
>>
>> "https://user%3Apassword@api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/get?tag=foo"
>>
>> Is this a bug, or is there some other way to construct the appropriate URL?
>>  (This is in 4.1.3.3-svn3dec2008).
>>

> By my read, this is legal, according to section 2.4.2 of RFC 2396:
> [ ... ]

Looks like I had the wrong RFC. I should have been reading 3986. I'm
not clear if it says the net library is wrong or not in the case, but
I went ahead and checked in a change so you now see colons instead of
%3a in the userinfo field.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.