[plt-scheme] why local? (just curious)

From: Sigrid Keydana (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jan 15 09:11:22 EST 2009

thank you all for your helpful replies. Shriram, I just looked at the
old thread you pointed me to and really, towards the end of it I even
found my "last" remaining question answered:

>> Yes, but... *Letrec* *doesn't* provide for sequential assignment like
>> so what do you do when you need *both*? One answer: Use nested
>> But that doesn't provide *mutual* recursion.

Now I just have no idea of  when I might need sequential assignment in
addition to the mutual recursion of letrec... But that's lack of
experience of course :-(

What I also wouldn't have thought of, but find very convincing, is the
point regarding the possibility of developing on the top level first.
This sounds real useful.

Shriram Krishnamurthi schrieb:
> Hi Sigrid --
> If you want to wish you'd never asked (-:, see this old thread on
> comp.lang.scheme:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/browse_thread/thread/4ec029086bf56a61/e3fe547c1a98e4be?lnk=st&q=comp+lang+scheme+shriram+local+letrec
> Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.