[plt-scheme] why local? (just curious)

From: Sigrid Keydana (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jan 15 09:11:22 EST 2009

Hi,

thank you all for your helpful replies. Shriram, I just looked at the
old thread you pointed me to and really, towards the end of it I even
found my "last" remaining question answered:

>> Yes, but... *Letrec* *doesn't* provide for sequential assignment like
let*,
>> so what do you do when you need *both*? One answer: Use nested
"*letrec*"s.
>> But that doesn't provide *mutual* recursion.

Now I just have no idea of  when I might need sequential assignment in
addition to the mutual recursion of letrec... But that's lack of
experience of course :-(

What I also wouldn't have thought of, but find very convincing, is the
point regarding the possibility of developing on the top level first.
This sounds real useful.

Ciao,
Sigrid

Shriram Krishnamurthi schrieb:
> Hi Sigrid --
>
> If you want to wish you'd never asked (-:, see this old thread on
> comp.lang.scheme:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/browse_thread/thread/4ec029086bf56a61/e3fe547c1a98e4be?lnk=st&q=comp+lang+scheme+shriram+local+letrec
>
> Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.