[plt-scheme] Re: Why do layman programmers care about Currying?

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Jan 4 15:29:14 EST 2009

#lang scheme

; permute : list-of-a (a a -> boolean) -> (list-of list-of-a)
; take all permutations of a list, but do not include more than one
; copy of all permutations A and B for which (andmap eq A B)

(define (permute lst eq)
 (if (null? lst) '(())
  (apply append (map (curry process-rotation eq) (rotations lst eq)))))

; rotations : list-of-a (a a -> boolean) -> (list-of list-of-a)
; take all rotations of a list, but only those with different cars.

(define (rotations lst eq)
 (let loop ((head lst) (tail '()))
  (cond
   ((null? head) '())
   ((ormap (curry eq (car head)) tail)
    (loop (cdr head) (cons (car head) tail)))
   (else
    (cons
     (append head (reverse tail)) ; (*)
     (loop (cdr head) (cons (car head) tail)))))))

; process-rotation : (a a -> boolean) (list-of a) -> (listof list-of a)
; cons the car of a rotation to all permutations of the cdr of that rotation.

(define (process-rotation eq rot)
 (map (curry cons (car rot)) (permute (cdr rot) eq)))

; curry : procedure any ... -> procedure
; curry from left

(define (curry fun . args)
 (lambda other-args
  (apply fun (append args other-args))))

;test

(equal? (permute '(a a b c) eq?)
'((a a b c)
  (a a c b)
  (a b c a)
  (a b a c)
  (a c a b)
  (a c b a)
  (b c a a)
  (b a a c)
  (b a c a)
  (c a a b)
  (c a b a)
  (c b a a))) ; --> #t

(*) the reversal is not necessary, but without it the word 'rotation' would be misleading and the permutations may be listed in another order.

Jos