[plt-scheme] Re: from hell to paradise

From: Henk Boom (henk at henk.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 18 08:29:58 EST 2009

2009/2/18 Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:23 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>
>> I was just thinking "gosh with so many people if each wrote a
>> real-world application of scheme to 'real life' we would have a
>> 'book'".
>

> That has been my thinking for a while now. What if we
> set up an svn repository and provided a mechanism for
> "literate" programming so that you can describe your
> stuff and then make it available for others to edit?

I think the biggest help are accessible blog posts demonstrating why
and how to use PLT-Scheme for specific things. Even after learning
scheme, I only started using PLT Scheme for web development after
reading this series:

http://www.scheme.dk/blog/2007/01/introduction-to-web-development-with.html

Blog posts are friendly, and eminently google-able. I find they also
illustrate the presence of a community more effectively than a central
site. For some reason, "This guy is using it!" seems stronger than
"There is apparently some group of people using it".

    Henk

Posted on the users mailing list.