[plt-scheme] Re: from hell to paradise

From: Paulo J. Matos (pocmatos at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 07:45:44 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:23 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>
>> I was just thinking "gosh with so many people if each wrote a
>> real-world application of scheme to 'real life' we would have a
>> 'book'".
>

> That has been my thinking for a while now. What if we
> set up an svn repository and provided a mechanism for
> "literate" programming so that you can describe your
> stuff and then make it available for others to edit?

Still not sure how it would work out, given that if nobody imposes
restrictions on 'what is' commited, surely lots of non 'real life'
stuff will get in. Is that what it is intented? Or what is indented is
to commit only specific real-life examples that explain how to do
something in Scheme?

Examples of real life would be (i think... since we are trying to
attract others):
- Graphics programming;
- C Interface;
- GUI;
- Databases;
- Parsing;
etc...

Something along the lines on 'How to Design for Real Life'. hehehe :D

Again, it would be interesting to specify on what is intended by this.
As an example, I am developing for my PhD a SAT-based model checker in
PLT Scheme. That would be the first thing that occurs to me that I can
commit but that is hardly real life (how often a programmer thinks
"ah, I have to develop a model checker"). If anything, that would
detract people from reading the thing I guess.

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
Webpage: http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm

Posted on the users mailing list.