[plt-scheme] Re: from hell to paradise

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 17 20:00:35 EST 2009

Grant Rettke wrote:

> Also Peter Siebel's
> "Practical Common Lisp" or the "Real World Haskell" book are what
> people want to see so they feel like they are "doing something
> valuable" with what they learn. I don't see that in the FP world.

I'm confused -- those books are in the FP world. Do you want something
like them for Scheme? I would point to the v4 documentation, already an
order of magnitude better than that for any comparable tool. I expect it
to get better. (If HtDP were a wiki, it would be transformed by now.)

> Another example is showing the value of "pure functional programming".
> Other than HtDP, I have yet to be able to find a book that teaches how
> to, and the value of, designing purely functional programs. I have
> asked just about everyone I could find and there is still only one
> that I can point too.

In Scheme, no, though I would say that TSPL doesn't make a big deal of
mutation, and neither does Paulson's "ML For The Working Programmer".
But what about Hutton's "Programming in Haskell", or Hudak's "The
Haskell School of Expression", or Okasaki's "Purely Functional Data
Structures", or Rabhi and Lapalme's "Algorithms: A Functional
Programming Approach"?

Perhaps I can draw an analogy with environmentalism. After some alarming
discoveries in the '60's and '70's, governments gradually regulated (at
least in North America) the more extreme violations. But individual
responsibility took much longer to sink in. There was a school of
thought that suggested making it easier for people by making it
familiar, which brought us trash separated at the dump instead of at
collection point, hybrid SUVs, etc. But these were just stopgaps. What
was really required was a change in thinking, and that happened among
the young. We're not there yet, but it looks a lot better than it did a
decade or two ago.

As a student, I went out into summer workplaces and argued for
structured programming against senior programmers who insisted on their
right to GOTO any label they put in their code, for the use of Pascal
and C instead of FORTRAN and COBOL, for the use of Unix instead of
whatever IBM was offering. I didn't make much headway, but there were
thousands like me, and collectively we had an effect. We were shown a
new way to think, and we made that the norm.

It can happen again, though -- I believe -- not if we make do with only
the students who are not repulsed by their high-school CS labs (or by
their image, never getting anywhere near the labs themselves) or who are
primarily driven by the video games they have enjoyed. We need also to
reach the best math and science students -- and the best philosophy and
political science and English students, because they can look
objectively at a piece of C++ code and a piece of Scheme code and come
to the obvious conclusion, the one resisted by those who believe, in
defiance of most of human history, that the way things are done now is
the way they will always be done. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.