Fwd: [plt-scheme] Newbie Lambda( ) (???????????)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Feb 15 15:42:34 EST 2009

On Feb 15, e wrote:
> thanks.  that's helpful to know.  A few things I can say
> definitively (rather than my former vagueness):
>
> 1)  I still can't select the individual mail option for the google
> group.  yet, I am getting individual mail as if it is working
> correctly.  I ALSO get the digest (which I don't actually want and
> end up deleting).  I've never had any problems before.

I don't know how you got to that situation -- the google groups
interface is the same as it always is.  I did see that you had the
digest option in google (which gave you the digest emails) and since I
subscribed you to the plt mailing list too you got the emails directly
from it.  So to fix it, I changed your google groups subscription to
plain emails, and set the "no mail" option in the PLT Scheme mailing
list.  This is the usual setup for reading the list elsewhere but
still be able to post as usual.  (I wish the google groups thing would
do what gmane does -- it allows people to post through it.)

> 2)  In other groups, the mail just comes from the message group
> email address.  Here the message comes from the sender, and the cc
> is the message group email address.  Because I was forgetting to do
> only sending back to the previous sender.

Well, my guess is that you're used to the way google groups
distributes emails.  The PLT list is leaving the sender intact --
which is usually considered as a much better option.  See
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for a very detailed
description of why it is better.