[plt-scheme] continue web application: correspondence between blog/post objects and db tables

From: Matt Jadud (jadudm at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 09:12:50 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Sigrid Keydana <keydana at gmx.de> wrote:
> It seems I'm much more aquainted with a model that just mirrors the
> table (like I suppose it's mostly done in Java applications, or even the
> ActiveRecord pattern of Rails). Now I'd be curious to know whether the
> fact that it's done differently here has anything to do with the kind of

Hi Sigrid,

If you are interested in a DB backing solution that is more ORM-like,
take a look at Snooze:

http://planet.plt-scheme.org/display.ss?package=snooze.plt&owner=untyped

Through a combination of the documentation and unit tests using Snooze
should be relatively straight-forward. If the query language is
problematic or confusing in any way, ask here. (Instead of building
SQL strings a la the Continue tutorial, Snooze has a little macro
language that is compiled down to SQL, allowing Snooze to work with
either Postgres or SQLite.)

And as a note for Jay: it might be nice to point to some of the
Untyped libraries from your documentation. Code written with Dispatch
and Snooze tends to be more concise when one is writing simple
programs. (It might even be more concise for more complex
programs---certainly, I prefer writing against Snooze than mangling
strings to build SQL.) Also, the Untyped libraries have unit tests,
which means that users can also see how the code is used in a context
other than the tutorial. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Matt

Posted on the users mailing list.