[plt-scheme] Newbie Lambda( ) (???????????)

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 14:13:31 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Jesus Boadas <jboadas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks I understand now, this is new to me. My usual functions only return
> values, never could imagine that a function could return a function

Functions can, indeed, return functions.  In fact, functions
themselves are values, so your function that returns a function is
still returning a value.  It just happens to be a more interesting
value than a number or a string.

> I was doing some research and this is called higher order functions or I am in a
> mistake?.

That is correct.  Higher order functions are functions whose inputs
and/or outputs are also functions.  They are commonplace in Scheme and
many similar programming languages.

--Carl

Posted on the users mailing list.