[plt-scheme] Hygienic Macros

From: Will Farr (farr at mit.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 08:46:54 EST 2009

Paulo,

Here's another one (probably Eli's examples are better, but I've been
bitten by this one in practice):

Suppose you define a macro do-range:

(define-syntax do-range
  (syntax-rules ()
    ((do-range (i llow hhigh) body ...)
     (let ((low llow)
           (high hhigh))
       (let loop ((i low))
         (if (< i high)
             (begin body ...
                    (loop (add1 i)))
             'done))))))

And then try to use it in

(define (vector-n-smallest vector n <)
   (let* ((store (vector-copy vector 0 (+ n 1))))
      (insert-sort! store <)
      (do-range (i (+ n 1) (vector-length vector))
         (vector-set! store n (vector-ref vector i))
         (insert-sort! store <))
      (vector-copy store 0 n)))

Without hygiene, the '< in the do-range macro will refer to the '<
that is passed into vector-n-smallest.  There's no way to avoid this
without introducing hygiene (i.e. it's not a bug that can be fixed by
simply using (gensym)).  And, it bit me in real life :).

Will