[plt-scheme] Re: animation projects, video-game and not

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 6 17:20:03 EST 2009

> but overall, i say the more the merrier, and hopefully the field can
> grow and improve and teach all those imperative whipper-snappers a
> thing or two some day. :-)

Now, now, let us not go bad-mouthing the imperative world. After all,
it does have its place and value in computing. Perhaps, it should not
have the prominent placement it has now but we can not just dismiss it
out of hand. Mutation is sometimes quite useful.

Regarding the main topic of this discussion, let me come down in favor
of simulations and video games using universe/world. My students are
actually intrigued and giggle when they discover that they can write
games and simulations. I have learned that my particular students in
my particular neck of the woods feel overwhelmed if asked to write a
non-trivial game/simulation from scratch. With some guidance and
encouragment (and lots of patience sometimes), they get things going
and upon finishing feel more empowered. I did not quite get the same
reaction from, for example, having them write an evaluator. They are
simply not turned on by such things yet (but they will be when I get
them in my Programming Languages course :-).

--

Cheers,

Marco