[plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 5 21:16:57 EST 2009

Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> I actually don't know what you want.

Well, I don't know either. Something that is visual but not a game: art,
maybe. iTunes visualization. Something that is network-oriented but not
just putting two things on different machines. Web-scraping, or doing
something with some Google API.

> A chat server is all about text and
> nothing about text, and in contrast to the Hamsup example that we used
> to run, the universe teachpack is entirely, completely, totally functional.

I don't remember anything "dys"-functional about that teachpack, but
it's been a while.

> If you really don't like your students to be chatty, why not write
> scientific simulations?

Because they don't know enough physics, and because I want to stay away
from the serious issues involved in inexact computation, because I can't
treat them carefully enough.

> And, believe it or not, we're open to suggestions: ask and thou shall
> receive. -- Matthias

I know that. You folks are terrifically receptive. Just the fact that
we're having this conversation instead of my being ignored or flamed by
True Believers. What you've achieved is fantastic. So forgive me for
using that as a point of departure for thinking about issues which
probably transcend this particular pedagogical tool and what can be done
with it. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.