[plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 5 21:04:34 EST 2009

Dear Curmudgeon,

On Feb 5, 2009, at 8:47 PM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

> Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> >> How about a chat server?
>> Or Eliza-over-the-network.
>
> A few years ago, you folks provided a small teachpack to one of the
> TeachScheme! workshops that did TCP connect/send/receive. I used
> that to set my students a chat program exercise, where the chat was
> between two DrScheme interaction windows on different machines.
> Graphics in this case would be gilding the lily, as would running
> Eliza over the network instead of on one machine. Do we really have
> to tart things up in order to sell them to students? (I'm sorry if
> I'm being curmudgeonly. When I tell my students that Facebook Chat
> was written in Erlang, they perk up. But that doesn't mean I want
> them programming Facebook Chat in my course.) --PR

I actually don't know what you want. A chat server is all about text
and nothing about text, and in contrast to the Hamsup example that we
used to run, the universe teachpack is entirely, completely, totally
functional.

If you really don't like your students to be chatty, why not write
scientific simulations?

And, believe it or not, we're open to suggestions: ask and thou shall
receive. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.