[plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Arthur Nunes-Harwit (anh at cs.rit.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 5 14:01:02 EST 2009

Hi,

I see a lot of projects that are video games.  Such projects ultimately
rely input and output, or side effects (perhaps disguised via monads).
The coding style for much of HtDP is purely functional.  What is the
pedagogical impact?  Do the students notice?  (As a student, I didn't
notice right away that read was different from square.)  Is there any
discussion of "special" functions or objects?

What is the impact of other languages such as Java where the assumption
[built into the language libraries] is that everything is done using side
effects?  To what extent is it still possible to take a mostly functional
approach?

Thanks.

-Arthur