[plt-scheme] Jane Street Summer Project 2009

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Tue Feb 3 11:01:48 EST 2009

Hi Jens,

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Jens Axel Soegaard
<jensaxel at soegaard.net> wrote:
> Grant Rettke wrote:
>
>> Here is the use case I
>> experience when I want to work on a project:
>>
>> 1. Start DrScheme.
>> 2. Open the 3-5 files I care about while working the project: a couple
>> modules, the tests, and maybe a scratch file (Stephen's plugin
>> addresses this).
>> 3. Work on some particular functions in files or modules.
>
> Most people put the files from the same project in a folder.
> So it seems to me, that all you need is the option to open
> more files than one in the "Open File" dialog?

Yes that is the use case. Every time I want to work on a particular
project I start DrScheme, and type C:o 5-7 times, and choose the file
that I want to open. They are usually in the same directory. That is
how I work on a project.

Suppose that I want to work on a different project, I do the same
thing; either I close the existing files or have 10-14 files open now,
often with similar names "main, tests, scratch".

Opening multiple files in the file dialog would address the opening of
multiple files; but it wouldn't support the concept of "I am working
on a project".

Sometimes while working on a project, I want to reference code in some
other project. I mean, reference it for my use; not for use in the
system. In Komodo, I would add that file to the project. It doesn't
affect the code at all. It is there to help me work with my project.
Whether the files are in the same directory or not only matters when
there are dependencies in the running code; and I am not suggesting
that model of project.

Posted on the users mailing list.