[plt-scheme] representing environments in Java

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Feb 3 03:05:24 EST 2009

All right, I've asked what I consider to be the leading local Java
expert, and he had no idea: what's the standard idiomatic way to
represent environments in Java?

More specifically: in order to implement a simple interpreter, you
need maps with functional update.  I spent about fifteen minutes
poking around, and found absolutely no way to use the existing Java
standard libraries to achieve this.  To the best of my knowledge, the
only correct way to do this is by "rolling your own"; in essence,
following the first few chapters of HtDC to create a List interface
with two concrete subclasses, Cons and MT.

This seems like a ludicrous state of affairs: the standard libraries
fail to contain any way to represent functional-update lists, despite
the fact that such a thing would be about a hundred lines of extra
code in a very large standard library. Surely I must be overlooking
something obvious?

Thanks,

John Clements