[plt-scheme] Re: plt-scheme type of language

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 11 12:04:19 EST 2009

Hi Artyom,

>> In general, PLAI does not do a good job of the "isn't"s.  What isn't
>> meaningful about "strong typing"?  What isn't good about aliasing?
>> What isn't right with analogies about objects?  Etc.  All these things
>> have to be gleaned from being in a class taught by the faculty who use
>> it, since they aren't written down.
>
> However, these things have to be written down somewhere.

I'm afraid you took a different interpretation of "have" than I
intended.  I meant this as a description of the current state of
affairs, not as a statement of eventual necessity or inevitability.
That is, I feel it is *unfortunate* that things are this way, and that
they can be remediated.

> Maybe reading Redex book
> (that is, studying operational semantics, as I see it) would help?

Not in its current state, I'm afraid.  Right now the Redex book is
even narrower than PLAI.  (I just ran a course from it this semester.)

I don't believe there is actually a good PL book on the market (PLAI
included).  To really do its job, a PL book has to be deeply
intertwined with programming itself.  (After all, that's where
languages come from, and that's what they go to.)  At least, this is a
dominant prejudice behind PLAI, and I expect many people on this list
take the above parenthetical sentence as tautological.  The current
book is only a start in this direction.

Unfortunately, most "advanced" PL books come from and go to
mathematics.  This is not to say that all mathematics in PL is
irrelevant; many people who do mathematical PL have profound insights
into software.  However, even when these insights exist, they may not
be accessible to people without the right training.

At a very coarse level, one could argue that most PL texts tend toward
the L, and hope that you can infer the line from there to the P on
your own.  (I mean, of course, to speak only of the intellectually
palatable PL texts in the first place, unlike the rubbish that sells.)

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.