[plt-scheme] type of language

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 10 08:17:52 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM, YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It just so happens that I am currently reading Real World Haskell, which has
> the following to say about types (excerpts from
> http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/types-and-functions.html):
> [...]

So these authors wandered into territory they didn't need to (this is,
after all, Real World Haskell, not Definitional Haskell), tried to
sound academic, and made asses of themselves.

The first sentence contains a useless definition.  The second cries
out for an editor.  The third either (a) introduces a new definition
that is related in English but not definitionally to the previous one,
or (b) creates a pair of confusing definitions.  The fourth is
unrelated to the first three.

If your goal was to discredit the book on this topic, you provided a
fine excerpt.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.