[plt-scheme] Re: new bug test results for the intermittent file explorer hanging problem previously reported

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Dec 9 19:03:56 EST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> It seems likely to me that DrScheme is doing something wrong here,
> probably in the way it uses threads to keep the event loop for the file
> dialog separate from DrScheme's main event loop.
>
> Benjamin: I very much appreciate your detailed bug report.
> Unfortunately, I've never found the time (including tracking down the
> right version of Windows) to investigate this further.
>
> Currently, I'm looking to the MrEd re-write the way to address this
> problem. In the short run, the rewrite will create entirely new
> problems, but I think we at least know better how to handle event loops
> and avoid the problem that is likely behind the file-dialog bug. I just
> need about 3 more months...

Another data point: I often find under OS X that the file dialog goes to spinning-beach-ball for up to 10 seconds.  At the same time, DrScheme-attributed CPU usage goes through the roof. This seems to coincide with the file dialog "cursor" touching a .ss file.

This has been the case for me for quite some time.  It's never bothered me enough to mention it.

John