[plt-scheme] new bug test results for the intermittent file explorer hanging problem previously reported

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 8 23:01:54 EST 2009

This is just a polite, but detailed, bug report reporting the results
of trying out DrScheme v4.2.3 on a different computer than before (a
laptop this time), with a different set of drivers installed, running
the same version of the same OS on which the intermittent file
explorer hanging problem had appeared before.

(For those new to this issue, the "intermittent file explorer hanging
problem" mentioned above (first reported in the thread "annoying
hanging behavior when saving files on DrScheme version
3.99.0.13-svn26feb2008, english" [1] (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-March/023922.html),
and subsequently reported in the threads "Any tips for avoiding
intermittent freezing when navigating file system directories with
mounted network volumes in DrScheme?" [2] (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-August/026608.html),
"hint for debugging file navigator freezing bug in DrScheme 4.1.1,
english, on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2" [3] (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-October/027717.html),
and "a possibility for the intermittent file explorer hanging problem
in DrScheme" [4] (see
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2009-March/031373.html))
refers to a bug that had previously appeared when running DrScheme
v372 and later on my desktop Wintel computer (at work) running the
Japanese version of Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, in which
the "Select a file" dialog box would periodically freeze for a few
seconds every eight to fourteen seconds or so while navigating through
folders in a hierarchical directory.  It had also previously appeared
in the same dialog box when running DrScheme on another Wintel
computer at a previous job, also running the Japanese version of the
same OS (with Service Pack 2 then).  This bug cannot be replicated on
the English version of the same OS, and there had been some
controversy on this mailing list and on the comp.lang.scheme newsgroup
about whether this bug only occurred on my computer (the opinion of
one member of this mailing list), or whether it only occurred when
running the Japanese version of Windows XP Professional, Service Pack
2 or later (my opinion).)

This time, I borrowed a laptop (a different computer from my desktop
last time) set up by my employer (the same employer as last time) for
work use at home, but running the same OS (the Japanese version of
Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (which I immediately upgraded
to Service Pack 3)), which, according to the "System" control panel
applet, has the following software and hardware specifications:

System:
  Microsoft Windows XP
  Professional
  Version 2002
  Service Pack 3

(Hardware:)
  Lenovo Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
    T5500 @ 1.66 GHz
  980 MHz, 504 MB RAM

This computer had no mapped network drives and no shared network
folders, and only had a cable Internet connection.

Then I downloaded and installed DrScheme, version 4.2.3, english.

However, the same bug appeared after navigating through several layers
of folders in the "Select a file" dialog box that appears when
clicking on the "File -> Open..." menu item.

As an aside, the only other software added to all three computers that
I can remember was Adobe Reader, Microsoft Office (Japanese version)
(Office 2003 in the case of this laptop), Cygwin, Tweak UI (a Windows
tweaking utility) (available among the "Powertoys for Windows XP"),
and PLT Scheme (at least one of the versions from among v371 or later)
itself.

Therefore, it seems likely that this bug occurs on a given Wintel PC
with this set of applications installed, running the Japanese version
of Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 or above, when running
DrScheme, English, version 371 or above, but not when running the
English version of the same OS (and not just on "my computer" as has
been claimed before).

That's the only additional information that I have to offer right now,
only because I had the occasion to borrow a company laptop.  If I have
the occasion to use a different computer, then I could try out
DrScheme on that computer at that time as well.

Has anybody else tried out the file explorer in DrScheme on a
different computer also running the Japanese version of Windows XP
Professional, Service Pack 2 or above?  I'm the only person who uses
DrScheme in my company, and my home computer is a Macintosh G4
PowerBook (currently inoperative due to defective RAM), not a Wintel
machine, so I am unable to diagnose this bug on any additional
computers at the present time.  This bug is significant because the
intermittent difficulty in navigating through directories on all three
machines interrupts the flow of concentration when trying to program
in Scheme in DrScheme.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] Russell, Benjamin L. "annoying hanging behavior when saving files
on DrScheme version 3.99.0.13-svn26feb2008, english." Online posting.
28 Mar. 2008. 9 Dec. 2009.
<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-March/023922.html>.

[2] Russell, Benjamin L. "Any tips for avoiding intermittent freezing
when navigating file system directories with mounted network volumes
in DrScheme?" Online posting.  18 Aug. 2008. 9 Dec. 2009.
<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-August/026608.html>.

[3] Russell, Benjamin L. "hint for debugging file navigator freezing
bug in DrScheme 4.1.1, english, on Windows XP Professional, Service
Pack 2." Online posting.  9 Oct. 2008. 9 Dec. 2009.
<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2008-October/027717.html>.

[4] Russell, Benjamin L. "a possibility for the intermittent file
explorer hanging problem in DrScheme." Online posting.  17 Mar. 2009.
9 Dec. 2009.
<http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2009-March/031373.html>.

Posted on the users mailing list.