[plt-scheme] Re: Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Guillaume Marceau (gmarceau at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 25 16:45:04 EDT 2009

> R7RS Core: extremely small core language (sort of like the Scheme
> assembler, possibly smaller than R6RS, but ideally including an FFI)
>
> R7RS Plus: R7RS Core + a number of libraries that make the language as
> big or slightly bigger than R6RS + standard libraries
>
> R7RS GUI: R7RS Plus + a standard, cross-platform GUI widget library that
> supports *all* common user-interface widgets (not just a small subset)

I remember discussing this strategy with Matthew some time in 2002. I
can't remember what his objection was, but he wasn't moved.

To your list, I would actually add:

   R7BS Bytecode: a bytecode that conforming compilers can write, and
that conforming
   run-time environments can read, in addition to which evernative
compilation strategy
   they use.

If all the Schemes are so different that they might actually be
different languages, and if bytecode is the solution to
interoperability between languages in the JVM/CLR/Parrot world, then
perhaps the Scheme world should have its own bytecode too.

Posted on the users mailing list.