[plt-scheme] Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Sam TH (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 21 18:02:35 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Scott Gilbert<xscottg at gmail.com> wrote:
> As explained in the charters for the "small" and "large" languages, the
> small language is supposed to be a *subset* of the large language.  I can't
> see why this would cause any disappointment.  I could be wrong, but I
> presume PLT Scheme would be interested in implementing the large language,
> and any libraries written for the small or large languages would therefore
> be portable to PLT Scheme.

What I'm disappointed in is this bit, from the original document:

> Small Scheme
>    * Constituencies: educators, casual implementors, researchers, embedded languages, "50-page" purists

I'm in constituencies 1 and 3 in that list, and I don't see why they
belong under 'small' rather than 'large', especially given the
excellent experience that many people, myself included, have had doing
both teaching and research with PLT Scheme.
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.