[plt-scheme] PLoT and legends

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 15 14:07:45 EDT 2009

> Looking over the documentation at
>    http://docs.plt-scheme.org/plot/
> I see ways to mix several datasets on the same plot, which is wonderful,
> but no textual way to tell which is which.  Is it possible to create a plot
> legend or key that associates the color/shape of each plot in a mix with a
> label?

Currently, I don't know of anyway to do it without writing a custom plot
extension. The science collection (
http://planet.plt-scheme.org/display.ss?package=science.plt&owner=williams)
has some extensions for histograms, etc if you want to look an example for
writing your own.

Another mystery is that mix* is mentioned in the second paragraph of section
> 1.2 but is never described anywhere (or mentioned again).  What does it do?
> Does it still exist?
>
>> (require plot)
>> mix
>>
> #<procedure:mix>
>
>> mix*
>>
> . . reference to an identifier before its definition: mix*

I looked through the code and there is no mix* that I can see. I'm guessing
that the functionality was merged into mix and the documentation was never
changed. But, I don't know the history. I'll write a bug report on the
documentation.

> It would be cool if there were a mix* that let me label things.

We really need more complete plot capability - there are many limitation of
the current one that you'll run into. I've written some that I use in my own
work, but the aren't documented, nor are the on PLaneT. It's something I'm
hoping to get into Schemelab at some point.

Doug