[plt-scheme] [OT] Scheme Jobs

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 17 16:35:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am finishing my PhD by the end of the year and starting to work in
> Jan, 2010. I am moving to Germany [either Munich or Berlin, up to be
> decided]. Does anybody know any Scheme-related jobs in any of these
> areas (or companies to contact?)? Or maybe Lisp related jobs since
> Scheme might be even harder?
>
> Any other suggestions/comments to someone like me without industrial
> experience that just finished a PhD in formal methods and looking for
> a job are welcome.

Some thoughts:

IMHO there are really two Scheme communities: that derived from the
Lisp tradition, and that derived from the functional programming
tradition. (FP and Lisp were once the same thing, but really no longer
are.) I don't really think they have much in common. PLT is more in
the FP tradition. Given this, I suggest widening your search a bit to
include Haskell, Scala, and Erlang. Any sane employer looking for
those (and there are a number) will respect your Scheme skillz.

OTOH, cadence.com has advertised for Lisp programmers in the past.
They are based in Munich.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.