[plt-scheme] schematics takes 5 minutes to planet install?

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 17 13:26:47 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:12 PM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
> On a reasonably modern Linux machine, installing schematics takes five
> minutes of user time:

(Installing SchemeUnit, not Schematics.  I doubt you are saving the
development team to your hard drive.)

> clements at vogon:~ $ time planet install schematics schemeunit.plt 3 4

> real    8m53.741s
> user    5m34.997s
> sys     1m53.497s
>

> Is this expected?

Well, you are downloading the software, compiling it, running the
Scribble files, indexing the Scribble files, rendering the Scribble
files, and re-building your entire Help Desk index to include links to
the Scribble files, as well as re-rendering your main Help Desk and
search pages.

So, it's unfortunate that it takes so long, but installing Planet
packages entails a lot of work these days.

--
Carl Eastlund