[plt-scheme] Running the SICP metacircular evaluators

From: Toby Gee (tsg153 at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 15 06:58:03 EDT 2009

I'm working my way through SICP, using DrScheme. In Chapter 3 I started to
have trouble with mutable pairs, but it wasn't such a hassle to rewrite
everything with mcons etc. However in Chapter 4 it seems like it would be
much easier to just run the code from:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/code/index.html

without having to modify it. I'm having trouble doing this! From suggestions
around the web, it looks like running the Module language in DrScheme should
be the way to go, but I can't make it work. If I try using #lang scheme, it
gets stuck at the set-car!. If I use #lang r5rs, it doesn't know "error".
And if I use #lang r6rs, I get the mysterious (to me) error:

Interactions disabled: r6rs does not support a REPL (no #%top-interaction)

Presumably there is a way to make this work; I've seen hints that it's
possible to enable set-car! etc by loading particular libraries, but I
haven't been able to find out which ones. If anyone can tell me how to get
this code to work, or what the best alternative (in terms of minimal
rewrites - I find it distracting to have to constantly be checking which
things from the book need to be modified), I'd be very grateful.