[plt-scheme] No More Boring Code

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Tue Apr 7 18:34:47 EDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 11:59, John Clements wrote:

> Reading and writing Java is, by and large, boring. Boring code is
> boring to write, and genuinely difficult to read without glossing
> over details. This is an observation made by Yaron Minsky at his
> Cam(e)l Trading talk at CMU.  This resonated strongly for me, and
> got pretty close to the root of what I think functional languages
> are about: providing the abstraction tools to obviate the need for
> Boring Code.
>
> Hence, the Anti-Boring Code League.  I plan to make T-Shirts.
> Anyone feel like improving the logo?

Sign me up.  I like the idea.  Here's an alternate idea for a T-
shirt.  Gather all the Java code you can find, filter and sort it to
produce a top 20 list of the most inane things people have to put
again and again and again in their Java code, and then produce a tag
map.  Make that the background.  At the center should be something
that visually symbolizes extreme boredom.  Put the red circle with the
line through it over that image.  Put the words "ban boring code" in
some artsy font on the slanted line.  BBC!

I image-googled boredom.  That was not easy.  I came up with:
- http://knauth.org/random/visualizing-boredom.html

I'd like to see the Cam(e)l Trading talk, if it is available.

Geoff

Posted on the users mailing list.